About the Vulkan Area
PS:hotell is situated centrally on the historical area of Vulkan, at Grünerløkka in Oslo. The history of Vulkan is strongly attached to its placement along the Akerselva River, and it is also the history of Oslo. The written text here is from the website about the Vulkan area:
"The area has been used for production since the Middle Ages, including a silver mine from the time of viking king Harald Hårfagre, founder of Oslo in the year 1050. The silver mine at Akersberget is Norway’s oldest and was closed in 1610. By this time there was a mill operating at Nedre Foss, the lowest lying waterfall of the Akerselva river, and the area was later the home to a cement factory, brickworks, sawmill and chair factory, as well as Oslo’s first public bathhouse. In 1873 the Vulkan Jernstøberi company acquired the area, taking their name from the Roman god Vulcanus, the god of fire and forges. The foundry specialized in steel bridges for rail and road, but is also known for making the dome for the old Colosseum cinema in Oslo. They also produced boats, ovens and other steel products. The cast-iron buildings in the area were all erected after 1900. After foundry production ended in the 1960’s and until Akerselva River Environmental Park was established in 1986, the Vulkan area was mainly used for storage and as the premises for craft businesses. In the 1990’s Vulkan was suggested for several new theatre and concert venues being developed by Statsbygg. However, this process was abandoned and the premises were put up for sale. Property developers Aspelin Ramm and Anthon B Nilsen bought the Vulkan area and started the development of what was to become a thriving new area in the heart of Oslo. Vulkan is a full scale example of sustainable urban development, based on the sharing of localities, resources and energy in a dense and multifunctional area."